By Vangie Beal
Many people use the terms Internet and World Wide Web (aka. the Web) interchangeably, but in fact the two terms are not synonymous. The Internet and the Web are two separate but related things.
What is The Internet?
The internet is a massive network of networks, a networking infrastructure. It connects millions of computers together globally, forming a network in which any computer can communicate with any other computer as long as they are both connected to the internet. Information that travels over the internet does so via a variety of languages known as protocols.
Quick Points about The Internet:
- It is a global network connecting millions of computers.
- The internet is decentralized.
- Each internet computer is independent.
- There are a variety of ways to access the internet.
- There are more than 3.5 billion internet users in the world.