Learn how to use Wi-Fi, Personal Hotspot, and Ethernet to connect to the Internet.
Learn how to connect to an open, secure, or hidden Wi-Fi network. You can also create a new Wi-Fi network.
Connect to a Wi-Fi network
Click in the menu bar, then choose a network. If Wi-Fi is off, click , then select Turn Wi-Fi On.*
If you connect to a public Wi-Fi network, a window might appear with terms and conditions you’re asked to agree to before you can connect.
Connect to a secure Wi-Fi network
Secure Wi-Fi networks are password-protected and have by their names.
- Click in the menu bar. If Wi-Fi is off, click , then choose Turn Wi-Fi On.*
- Choose a network.
- Enter the password, then click Join. If you don’t know the password to the Wi-Fi network, contact the network administrator.
Connect to a hidden network
- Click in the menu bar. If Wi-Fi is off, choose , then choose Turn Wi-Fi On.*
- Choose Join Other Network.
- Enter the network name. Make sure you enter the network name correctly.
- If the network is secure, choose the Security type, then enter the password.
- Click Join.
Learn what to do if you can’t connect to a hidden network.
Create a Wi-Fi network
If you have Internet service at your location, you can connect an AirPort base station or a third-party router to your modem to create a Wi-Fi network. Use the setup guide for your AirPort base station, or check your third-party router’s manual for help.
* If you don’t see the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar, you can add it back. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, click Network, click Wi-Fi, then select “Show Wi-Fi status in menu bar”.
Use Personal Hotspot
With most carrier plans, you can share the cellular data connection of your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) with your Mac.
Learn how to set up Personal Hotspot.
Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Contact the vendor for additional information.